Sunday, April 3, 2011

Feeling like Nehemiah

As Nehemiah was building the wall around Jerusalem, rumors began flying that the Jews were headed for revolt and Nehemiah was stepping in as a new King.  Trying to tame these fanatics Nehemiah declared:   8 I sent him this reply: “Nothing like what you are saying is happening; you are just making it up out of your head.” (Nehemiah 6:8, NIV). 

I can say I feel a little like Nehemiah right now.  Nothing that this "health care" law is supposed to be happening is happening.  The things were were explicitly told won't happen ('no insurance premiums will go up' according to Obama) are.  It's like our President and congressmen are making it up out of their heads to get THEIR agenda's passed, not the will of the people they represent. 

I had written earlier for my disdain for the new health care law.  But I'm writing again because over the past 6 months we have experiences TWO premium increases for a total of a 23% increase.  So, instead of just complaining, I did the good citizen and constiuent thing to do and wrote my state senators, my representative, and the President.  Here is what I wrote:

 Mr. Levin- I am writing to you to share my concern with the new health care law and to show you how it has affected our family personally.  My husband is a self employed real estate agent and I am a stay at home mom to our two daughters ages 1 and 4.  We make it a priority in our life to pay for health insurance and do so out of our own pocket because of the self employment status.  With our first child I had a medically emergent c-section.  We soon after discovered in our search for more affordable premiums that a c-section is considered a 'pre-existing condition' and most companies will not cover a maternity rider on me- which is our main health cost to date as we are all healthy.  As you can see we fit the 'ideal candidate' that this new health care law was suppose to help.  But, Mr. Levin it is hurting us.  Despite the promise by our President that premiums will not go up- we have seen our premiums go up TWICE in the past 6 months with a letter directly indicating it was due to the new services that were required to be provided under this new law.  A 23% increase may not seem like a lot to most, but for us, this $1300 a year increase is taking money out of our pocket that could be put into our savings, college funds, our giving fund, or back into the economy with 'stimulated spending'.  In fact, this increase could potentially put us into the category this health care law was trying to avoid- the under or non- insured!  Because of this law, we may become one of those it was written to protect!  My husband may have to start charging higher fees to cover our new cost of living which will then lead to a trickle down affect to home buyers, commercial companies, and consumers.  Please, Mr. Levin change or repeal this law immediately, before it is too late and thousands of families like ours face the consequences.


I urge you all if you have problems with any new law or bill to write your representatives.  The will of the people was ignored the first time this law was passed, it must be heard now- loud and clear!

No comments: