Saturday, March 19, 2011

Making Bread

I have discovered the joy of making my own bread.  It is amazing to think I know exactly what ingredients go into it (aka no weird words I can't pronounce) and it is fun to try new recipes for fun.  I love my mom's recipe for a sweet wheat oatmeal bread.  Slice it into toast with a little butter and cinnamon sugar- mmmm....yeah, that bread is usually gone within a day!  I enjoy making an italian style loaf for our everyday sandwich, grilled cheese, french toast, garlic bread sort of thing. 

Anyone else make their own bread?  Care to share a recipe?  Use a breadmaker?  Get me drooling people!

Here is mine:
I use a breadmaker for the dough and then bake in the oven for this recipe:


Italian Bread:

1 1/3 cup of water
1.5 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon of oil or shortening
3 2/3 cups bread flour (I used high gluten or add 2 T of gluten in replace of 2 T of flour)
1 1/4 teaspoon yeast


put all ingredients in this order in the breadmaker (or what order is suggested by yours) push dough cycle.
after dough is finished let rest on slightly floured counter for 10-15 minutes
divide in half and form two loaves about 10x4x2 in size, slightly flattened on top
sprinkle with corn meal
Let rise for 45-60 minutes
Slice the top
bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes

You can also do an egg wash right before baking which gives it a glossy look and tougher crust.

Enjoy!

No comments: