Friday, August 28, 2009

Sensible Stewardship

I'm starting a new little blog roll called:

Sensible Stewardship

This is something I've had an increased passion for over the past few years. It wasn't until I reached adulthood that I came to understand my command and role as God's steward. That He owns everything, and I am simply a manager of it. I want my children to come to understand and apply this principle much sooner in life. It is an aspect of life that is constantly growing and maturing (like many virtues: faith, peace, love, joy, obedience), but I don't want my kids to start learning it when the leave the house and suddenly have an income or responsiblities. Why? Well that is the topic of the first Sensible Stewardship post!

Who is a steward?
Everyone.

Yep, thats right. Everyone.

You see, know where in scripture does God "excuse" anyone from being His steward for any reason.

Stewardship transends age, gender, socio-economic status, work status, the size of a house, the number of posessions, spiritual age, or location on this planet.

For the Bible clearly states that:
1) Everything is God's- whether you have little, or a lot (Psalm 24:1)
2) Everyone is God's workman, a steward of His resources. (1 Corinthians 4:2, Ephesians 2:10)

So you are barely making it, paycheck to paycheck. You are working as hard as possible to earn an income. Are you a steward? Yep. No excuse there.

You are an eight year old with no income. Are you a steward? You betcha!

You are a multimillionaire with loads of assets. Guess what? You are managing God's resources!

You are a widow, with nothing to your name, in a country or culture that does not honor you. You are a steward too. (see Mark 13).

You are an orphan with nothing but a pair of shoes and the clothes on your back to your name. God can't possibly be calling you to be a steward, can He? Yes, He can, and He does!

Everyone is God's steward. You are steward of all of God's resources: Money, 'Stuff', Time, the Earth, even Yourself!

So be ready. Be ready to become the steward God wants you to be! Be ready to teach your children that they are stewards too!

Join this journey with me. I don't have it all togther. I may not have it all quite right. I want to grow. I want to learn. I want to learn how to teach this to my daughters. Please join me.

No comments: