Thursday, January 8, 2009

Book Review: The Unseen by T.L. Hines

I recently finished reading a rather interesting novel entitled The Unseen by T. L. Hines. I enjoy a good fiction book now and again as a form of entertainment. While I usually lean towards a romantic genre- I felt compelled to try this mystery/futuristic type book.

Overall, I felt the book would highly impress and be enjoyed by those who often read this genre or type of book. The characterization of this book is by far one of the most complex and interesting in any of the books I have previously read. I felt as though Lucas was a long time friend that I have known deeply my whole life. His emotions and reactions were true and there were reasonings behind every decision. The characters Hines creates were facsinating.

While I'm not sure if it is my lack of enthusiasm over the genre or if it a characteristic of this novel or author, I felt as though the plot line was to full and confusing. I felt myself lost many times trying to follow all of the many subplots and trying to connect all of the dots. While some of these were resolved in the end, I still feel as though the plot lacks clarity, organization, and consolidation.

Would I recommend this novel? Hesitantly, and only to those who I knew enjoy the mysterious adventures and don't mind a little far fetched characteristics. I was moved by Hines acknowledgement section where he describes writing this novel while battling cancer. May the Lord bless him with many more years and continued health.

No comments: