Thursday, March 8, 2012

DVD Review: Three Hearts

Three Hearts is a documentary from Samaritan's Purse:  Children's Heart Project.  As a family we have done Operation Christmas Child thru Samaritan's Purse by filling shoe boxes that have been mailed around the world.  I had not idea that this was also an arm of their ministry.  The basic concept of Children's Heart Project is to find children around the world with severe heart conditions, that while repairable, are at risk for sudden death if they do not receive surgery or treatment that cannot be done in their home country.  Three hearts follows three Mongolian children (Two teenage boys and a toddler girl) as they make the journey from Mongolia two San Antonio where Children's Heart project has found a willing (and eager!) pediatric cardilogist who has taken on their case and will treat them.  This DVD follows their journey and how their hearts are healed physically and also spiritually.  It is amazing the transformation the group and their American hosts go through.
Highlights of the DVD:  I dare you to not at least tear up, if not shed tears peridoically throughout this film.  I don't know of anything much more heart wrenching than a mother handing over her baby to scrub clad surgeons, aware that this could be the last time she holds her baby.  I dare you to not shed a couple tears of joy as you see the spiritual transformation in these families.  I loved how the DVD highlighted cases that didn't work out as hoped- as hard as it was to hear.  The hearts of those involved were evident and I felt compelled to find out more about how I can help this ministry.  I like how it isn't focused on a person, a hero, or even the organization but the healing power of generosity and grace through the stories of these children and their families.  It was relatable and challenging.

Lowlights of the DVD:  I had a bad taste in my mouth after the DVD was set up to be this great spiritual journey for Cissie Graham (granddaughter to Billy Graham) and how she was going to present us with this great story when out of the blue she drops out because her husband gets drafted by the NFL.  I am a great advocate for marriages and putting your husband 2nd to only God...it just seemed so nonsensical that someone would put being with their husband while at training camp over brining three desparately sick children out of the desert and into the promised land.  If they had simply started out with Cissie's bio and presented it in more of a " I (Cissie) am excited about my internship and brining these three kids over from Mongolia...but I'm going to need some help!  I've enlisted...).  That angle would have prepared me better for the focus of the video and not left me a little unsettled.

Overall this was a great DVD, but I would not purchase it for personal use.  I could see renting it, but probably not.  It would be a great church, small group, or sunday school resource especially during a stewardship or global missions theme. 

*I was given a copy of this DVD for review by BookSneeze / Thomas Nelson, but all opinions are my own.

No comments: