Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book Review: The Sweetest Thing

This month I was sent The Sweetest Thing by Elizabeth Musser from Bethany House Publishing.  A fantastic novel set in mid depression 1930's Atlanta, The Sweetest Thing not only provides a cultural glimpse into the southern aristocracy but also the ways in which the depression ended up affecting the highest of highs and lowest of lows in society.  It painted a picture that showed that while the affects were quite different- the emotional story and end results almost leveled the playing field.  The characters were of diverse backgrounds- but were all high school age girls that came together through situations.  "Dobbs" tries to defy her new high society environment by clinging to her poor, pastoral roots of the family she left in Chicago.  "Perri" is a girl shaken from her high society and thrown into a downward spiral of emotions, finance, and relationships.  Both uncover secrets and mystery as they unveil their true passions and identity in a time of crisis and survival.

I loved the way this book read- broken up very so often by a character change allows the reader to feel as they really know the heart of these two main characters.  You feel led to cheer them both on, instead of siding with a single voice.  The pace of the novel is a bit slow, but the mystery aspect kept me intrigued.  I loved that this wasn't simply a romantic, historical, or mystery novel- but had all of those components into a well connected and seamless story.

This will make a great beach read this summer- a definite two thumbs up!

I love being a Bethany House Publishing book reviewer.  They send me free books as long as I read them and write an unbiased review of them on my blog!  Sweet deal I'd say.  I love to read.  I love to share my opinion- its a win win.

No comments: