Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Book Review: Really Woolly Bible Stories


I love finding Biblical resources for my little girls. I long to make the Bible relevant, meaningful, and applicable to their little lives. I was given the opportunity through Thomas Nelson Publishers and BookSneeze to review Really Woolly Bible Stories by Bonnie Rickner Jensen.


This hardcover and cardboard page book tells some of the most well known Bible stories (Creation, Noah, Jonah, Daniel, Jesus, Good Samaritan, etc) in simple rhyme format. With a 4-8 sentence rhyme and adorable picture, the basic lesson of these bible stories is told. In many ways it reminds me of classical nursery rhyme books with the ethereal drawings. While child-like and quaint, these stories still tell Biblical truths and some even provide a command of application- such as the conclusion of the Good Samaritan which asks the child "will you help out today?"


I found this Bible adaptation to be wonderfully thought out, creative, and appropriate. I would start reading this with my babes as soon as possible. I feel the ideal age for retention and application would be for ages 1.5-3 years. My four year old daughter enjoyed 'reading' the book to herself and liked some of the poetry. One of my favorite parts was also the scripture reference after each story so the parent could find the source of each story.


With a market filled with Biblical adaptations for every age and need, I found the Really Woolly Bible Stories a fresh, fun book to have for young children. Two thumbs up!

No comments: